Monday, April 3, 2006

Loving the Island

So I love my new gig. At the moment the main thing I’m responsible for is writing and editing articles for a new website we are working on, as well as pitching in ideas on all our creative meetings. Fantastic. So I’ve actually stumbled into a situation where I feel a strong connection between my key responsibilities and the very things I want to become better at, writing and communications. Finally. It’s perfect really and with the joy of heading to the vibrant energy on Granville Island – what else could I ask for? Well, it seems there is more.

As you may know, I’ve been touting this year as the time I bark at the moon and get things done. Year of the dog. A time for balance between my undying passion to spread the word and works of great Canadian artists, as well as finally preparing more of my own creative endeavours to share with the rest of the world. So as I sit here writing and listening to my new boss exquisitely play the guitar, my mind wanders to the editing feat that awaits me at home.

Over eight years ago I began writing my little heart out. I had been writing before that but nothing could compare to what I felt was my most prolific period and most inspiring. In a few short months I had written eleven books of poetry and possibly some lyrics (still to be seen). I found the more I traveled the more I wrote, turning bits and pieces of exotic sights, traditional scents and unique conversations, into newly written rants and observations. I was addicted. Everywhere I went I had my writing book and pens. Little yellow sticky pages would fill my pockets at the end of the days that I forgot my writing book, and all these words and sentences would eventually turn into the latest written piece.

Beats. Images. Words. Design. It seems I can’t go very long thinking about one without one of the others. On St.Patrick’s day I sold my first digital painting of 2006. I’ve always admired great paintings and photographs but never truly imagined myself creating a painting, never mind selling one. Since I started printing some of my designs on to canvas and large size prints two years ago I’ve managed to sell a dozen of them and I’m still shocked.

So like I said, year of the dog, and it is time to push forward even further with some of this creativity that stews within me. I’m in the process of choosing the next paintings to be framed and ready to join the walls of everyday art collectors, as well as beginning the next stage of editing the crate full of books sitting in my closet. As the world continues to shake, rattle and roll into unknown territory, I look forward to the new Observations that will now be communicated through this blog. I hope you continue to enjoy reading them and passing them on to your friends. Thank you all for your comments and great feedback as always.
peace,chico

No comments:

Post a Comment