Thursday, November 26, 2009

Unconditional Soul in Haydain Neale

Today music is all over my brain. The last two nights I woke up in the morning with Jacksoul’s ‘Unconditional’ song stuck in my head. Haydain Neale, lead singer for the group, sadly passed away Sunday night at the young age of 39.

I’ve been replaying the last time he and I spoke over and over in my head. It was early on in my days working in the music industry in Toronto. I was working at PolyGram Music Publishing at the time searching the country for great songwriters just like Haydain. First time I saw the band at the Bamboo on Queen St. I was blown away with the musicianship on that stage and my arm was filled with goose bumps on hearing Haydain’s voice sing Unconditional.



We met again weeks later where we discussed music publishing, the Canadian music scene and Haydain being a father. We shared an intense love for all kinds of music. I remember his sense of humour, his determination to have his music heard and his focus to provide for his family. He sounded so mature and passionate, I remember just thinking – this guy has his shit together. I was still new to Toronto and Haydain was just so generous with his time with me, the stranger talking publishing 101. Shortly thereafter, his determination finally brought him the record deals and his dreams came alive. It couldn’t have happened to a sweeter guy and that infectious smile of his.


Haydain Neale is Canadian, a fellow Ontarian and like me only 39 years old and on the precipice of entering the world of forty-something. I thought in numerology the number nine was a positive strong number but 2009 has proven to be a challenging year in so many respects. This year we lost many fantastic people who filled our hearts with music; Michael Jackson, Roc Raida, Jerry Fuchs, Mary Travers, DJ AM, Estelle Bennett and many other creative souls. Haydain’s passing has been hammering one specific thought in my mind that won’t let me go – do it now, don’t save it for tomorrow.


I start everyday giving thanks for this life and as much as I convince myself I’m doing all I can do, giving it my best, I know I can do more – just like Haydain. For the last two years Haydain had been recovering from a terrible accident he had while driving his scooter in Toronto. Despite all of this Haydain managed to co-write & co-produce the new Jacksoul album “SOULmate” which will be released Dec.1. Hearing the acoustic soul of the new song "Lonesome Highway" on the Jacksoul website brings back fond memories of hearing new songs from writers with just their voice and a guitar. So pure.

I really only knew Haydain before the major record deals and touring with James Brown but he simply continued to be the same soulful, positive and loving man, always. I’ll continue to strain my voice trying to hit the same notes singing along with him to Unconditional, his soulful voice forever a part of us all. Haydain, thank you for the music and for keeping it real.

No comments:

Post a Comment