Monday, March 1, 2010

Goodbye Olympics, Hello Vancouver again



I’m walking through False Creek while I continue to write. It’s a talent. I’m just a stone’s throw across the water to where most of the Olympic partying took place. It is quieter on this side of the water right now, a reminder of what is to come once we have our city returned to us but it will never be the same.

The Olympic games in Vancouver have come to an end and the last three days were monumental. We’ve entered the history books and over the past seventeen days I have walked in the thick of host country pride, shoulder to shoulder with the entire world in downtown Vancouver. I’ve sat in the stadium seats surrounded in a kaleidoscope of flags as I cheered on my Canadians, I’ve lead all the crowd waves from the comfort of my couch and screamed from the top of my lungs – GO CANADA GO! The other night when we won a bunch of medals, I thought I couldn’t be any prouder but Friday night my heart raced as fast as Charles Hamelin skating to his girlfriend Marianne St. Gelais after winning his Gold medal! The short track skating finals were breathtaking while the hockey games against Slovakia and America thrilled us to the last seconds while curling did us proud. Unbelievable.

As I sit outside looking in to the athletes’ Olympic village, the names of our medalists are now emblazoned in my memory forever, as is my rejuvenated Canadian pride. Thank you world, thank you Vancouver.





1 comment: