Thursday, December 3, 2009

Letters,Words and a Song

Today I thought I would share a rare glimpse into the daddy-day-care world here at Chico Daily. Despite the constant scribbling in my back-pocket-book and the late nights starting new paragraphs, finding real time to write something is difficult when I’m completely immersed with my son. This is not a complaint.



It is simply an observation on this writer’s journey. I’m finding it hard to be selfish. The bursts of creativity and the brief collaborative moments with peers that arise throughout the months, I grab a hold of them with the same passion and energy I share with my son. As his brain craves for more to soak up I too starve for more of those bursts and moments of creativity and writing.

Last night I had a rare opportunity to listen to a friend’s song demo. She was writing for a big artist and the track is amazing. It’s a love song with a great melody and when I played it yesterday my son came for a hug and cuddle while it played. Her voice really draws you in. She also asked if I had any ideas for the second verse to send them along. I worked on the melody and brought some words to life after a couple of hours singing to my son. It doesn’t matter if they get used at all, I am simply so thankful for these moments of creation and direction. I can’t even describe how it felt except that it really felt right.

So during breakfast today I asked my son how he wanted to start his day and he said some water painting and then some ABC’s. The first video he is writing some letters while the second one is some of the words he knows. I think he’s doing great and his sense of humour has me laughing most of the day. Watching this amazing life grow in front of me is unlike anything else and as it takes precedent over everything, it also inspires.

No comments:

Post a Comment